Monday 2 February 2015

City of contrasts

Food-wise, and this blog post is mainly about food and tea and coffee, Edinburgh is right up there for things to consume.

On Sunday, having purchased A Very Short Introduction To Management and decided against Ethnomusicology in Waterstones, it was lunch in the Caledonian Waldorf-Astoria. I say lunch, it was high tea accompanied by a live harpist. It was lovely, I would urge everyone to have a high tea if they have the time. It's something else.

This expensive high tea was followed up by breakfast the following day at the Haven, on Anchorfield in Leith. The experience was different but the same as the high tea. So, there's no haggis, I'll have extra bacon, but you know what, that harpist was an hour late.

Wandering around is fun, one discovers things and learns. The Haven offers a better breakfast than the Premier Inn though the beds are non-existent. And you know what, you can buy records, books and art there too.

And the final contrast. I was told that Bond No. 9 was the best place in Leith and indeed Edinburgh for cocktails. I didn't try it out, instead refreshment was found in Roseleaf in Leith. I can't remember the location, I didn't have a cocktail in a teapot, though the staff were very accommodating in supplying me with a bourbon, a rum and a whiskey. I in return left a message on the blackboard in the men's toilet.

Breakfast
The Haven, 9 Anchorfield, Edinburgh
Cocktails
Roseleaf, Sandport Place, Edinburgh

No comments:

Post a Comment